Tuesday, May 26, 2009


After a long absence in mountaineering activities since November 29, 1999 or 2 years, 2 months and 24 days to be exact, I rejoined again PNB Mountaineering Club’s climb with so much enthusiasm and excitement. The said climb was in the 3,700 feet Mt. Tarak in Mariveles, Bataan dated February 23 and 24, 2002. I felt then, it was my first time to climb a mountain. We were consist of twelve participants, namely: Fellow Philnabankers: Arthur S. Tagle and 14-year old son, Christian Dominique (also an inducted member); Ricky N. Eslao; Enrique “Ike” S. Abad; and Tony M. Alcaraz; former Philnabanker Jenny Ferrer; Erwin C. dela Cruz of Angelus Medical Center as the Expedition Leader; Eduard “Jun” V. Mangyao, Jr. of USAID as Lead Man; Jing V. Gumba of Bank of Commerce; Menchu B. Segovia; Connie Vasquez and I. I considered this climb as one the finest since it gave us an excellent weather condition, ideal group size, perfect and scenic campsite; good camaraderie as all the participants were seasoned regular members who has been together in previous climbs and the logistics were fairly good.

We first boarded Mt. Samat Ferry Express in CCP Bay Terminal at 8:30 A.M. of the first day (Feb. 23) and arrived in the Port of Capinpin, Orion, Bataan at 9:32 A.M. From the port, we boarded a chartered jeepney at 9:55 A.M. and arrived in Alas-asin Barangay Hall of Mariveles at 10:51 A.M. We started our trek at 11:00 A.M. and we reached the Gate Point of the mountain at almost 12:00 noon where we had our lunch. Gate Point is a grassy clearing with two big shady trees grown apart and the point where trekking cardiac assault starts. We resumed trekking again at 12:35 noon heading for Papaya River and stayed there for a rest for more than 30 minutes. An almost two hours cardiac assaults followed and reached the scenic campsite where we pitched our tents at 4:45 P.M. Hours followed were fun-filled even after our dinner and had socials until 11:00 P.M. This evening affair personally marked a spectacular night for me. We endlessly sang songs, talked and laughed as my companions drank bottles of gin diluted with pomelo. The moon then was right above us; full and simply huge.

The following day (Feb. 24) at 7:10 A.M. was our summit assault for 30 minutes and was back in our campsite after an hour. Early morning at the campsite has a soothing cool wind that inspired us to cook our breakfast and for our packed lunch. The magnificent morning scenery offered us an irresistible invitation to have some pictorials. We started descending the beautiful mountain at 8:50 A.M. and took our lunch in the Gate Point where we stayed there for almost two hours and had siesta time until 1:30 P.M. The group left me at 4:00 P.M. in Alas-asin Barangay Hall for Port of Capinpin while I proceed to Bataan Export Processing Zone in Mariveles alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment