Location: Bontoc, Mountain Province, Philippines
Jump-off Point: Sitio Fang-orao, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province
Alternate Jump-off Point: Sitio Favuyan, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province
Exit point: Sitio Fang-orao, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province (Backtrail)
Alternate exit point: Sitio Favuyan, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province (Hexaclimb Traverse)
Elevation: Approximately 1,655 MASL (5,430 feet)
Days required / Hours to summit: 1 day/ 2.5 hours (from Sitio Fang-orao via Mount Matuon)
Specs: Minor Climb, 3/9, Trail Class 1
Jump-off Point: Sitio Fang-orao, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province
Alternate Jump-off Point: Sitio Favuyan, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province
Exit point: Sitio Fang-orao, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province (Backtrail)
Alternate exit point: Sitio Favuyan, Brgy. Maligcong, Bontoc, Mountain Province (Hexaclimb Traverse)
Elevation: Approximately 1,655 MASL (5,430 feet)
Days required / Hours to summit: 1 day/ 2.5 hours (from Sitio Fang-orao via Mount Matuon)
Specs: Minor Climb, 3/9, Trail Class 1
Features: From its jump-off point of Sitio Fang-orao, the trail is consist of rice terraces of Maligcong, passing thru the main Maligcong village at the middle of the rice terraces and struts along the Fib-iling rice terraces. From its foot from Sitio Fib-iling, it has few rice granary houses. From its midpoint to the summit its trail has pine trees. Its summit has no open view since it is in the middle of densely-forested area.
From Mount Matuon, I headed the trail heading to Mount Lakipan. This completed my Maligcong Pentaclimb series. The trail was not challenging. Most of it are rolling and well-established ones. It looks like the trail has been frequently passed and used.
According to my guide, local customs and village regulations explicitly ban the collection of wild plants, flowers, and animals from the mountains. The sloping terrain of the Maligcong mountains are strictly conserved by local indigenous tradition.
At this point of my trek, I haven't seen pine trees, but instead seen various species characterized by a cool high-altitude ecosystem rich in endemic Cordillera flora.
My impression of the trail was not challenging at all compared to the trails of Mount Chumanegcheg and Mount Amfungotngor. I haven't seen mossy forest nor thick mist along the trail.
Reaching its summit at 1,655 MASL was not rewarding as there was no clearing nor viewdeck to enjoy the view of the lowlands. According to my guide, the native and indigenous trees other than pine trees that grow in Maligcong forests are: Alukon, Paguringon, Bagalnga, Awihaw, Dao, Malibago, Kalumpang, Dapdap, Agoho and Ylang-ylang, but I failed to document them one by one.
Descending from Mount Lakipan requires a sharp descent where we needed a rope to manage it down. Thanks to my reliable guide, he was always ready to assist me to make my climb easier.
At this point, I am not able yet to see Sitio Favarey. I still have to go down to the rice terraces and trek much longer to get closer to Sitio Favarey.
This terraces is a part which blocked the view of Sitio Favarey. From where I was seated, I need to trek again to the end of the terraces, so that I can descend to Sitio Favarey. It is only the time where I can already see Sitio Favarey at a distance.
You might think that the five pictures have just short distance. But you are wrong, since the trails are in repeated pattern of ascending to descending. Crossing a bridge in some deep ravine and and have steep ascent then descend to a sharp drop along the unending, winding and zigzag rice terraces trail.
Completing a steep ascent to Sitio Favarey
No! it was not easy to reach Sitio Favarey, for I descended deep to that bridge down there (at the bottom right). Reaching the top was a zigzag trail. The backdrop of the picture is the route I trekked down from Mount Lakipan. You think it was just near. It was not.
Down the trees as shown in the picture are the houses of the villagers of Sitio Favarey. I was supposed to capture pictures of the houses and villagers, but I was advised by my guide not to, to respect their privacy.
At the foreground of the picture is view deck which belongs to Sitio Fang-orao. This point is being flocked by tourists as the full view of Maligcong Rice Terraces can be captured.
From the concrete jump-off point of Fang-orao, we rode a motorcycle going to my accommodation at Chen's Homestay and arrived there at 10:15 AM. Since there was no longer time, I just had a clean-up and check-out at 11:00 AM and took a jeepney to Bontoc town proper. I took time for me to leave Sitio Favuyan as we have to wait that the jeepney is filled. I had my lunch in Bontoc town and waited for my trip to Manila which departed Bontoc at 3:25 PM.
ACCOMMODATION, MEAL RATES AND ENVIRONMENTAL FEE
The accommodation at Chen's Homestay is P500 or US$8.11 per person for a day, while kids is charged at half or P250 or US$4.05 per person. Meal per order is P250 or US$4.05. However, the guests can cooked their food and they charge P500 or US$8.11 per day using all the cooking, dining wares and all cutlery items. Coffee is free. There is an environmental fee of P60 or US$0.97 per head.
GUIDING FEE
The guide fee is charged per destination or mountain for P500 or US$8.11for a ratio of 1 guide to 5 persons. So, a penta climb costs P2,500 or US$40.54, regardless if it was held only for one day or more. David Rome Chumacog is a highly recommended guide who can be contacted at his mobile number at 09066243602.
HOW TO GO TO BONTOC AND CHEN'S HOMESTAY (PUBLIC TRANSPORT)
- Take a Coda Bus Liner from Cubao (Quezon City of Metro Manila) to Bontoc of Mountain Province for a fare which varies from P900 or US$14.69 to P1,200 or US$19.59 one way with a travel duration of 10-11 hours. The final destination of this bus is to Sagada, but you need to alight in Bontoc town proper.
- From Bontoc Commercial Center, usually parked along Capital Road behind the public market or in front of Pines Kitchenette and Inn, take a jeepney to Maligcong where your drop-off point is Favuyan (the lower/main area near most homestays) for P50 or US$0.81. The travel time is roughly 30 to 45 minutes along scenic, uphill road. Jeepneys leave when full, with standard intervals typically scheduled around 8:00 AM, 12:00 NN, 2:30 PM, and 4:30 PM.
No comments:
Post a Comment